March 27, 2007

Apres Personal Program

This stand of birch was shot in Waterworks Park, I have it copyrighted 2006, but it was actually taken this year - in fact, all the images I've posted, and will post, were taken this year (guess I'm still in 2006 mode). Anyway, this was one of the last shots I needed in order to complete my personal project. It was a sunny, although cool day, but undaunted, I shot on. In order to create this image, I used a small piece of glass, which I borrowed from an unused picture frome. I smeared vaseline on the diagonal, placed the underside of the glass (unsmeared part), on my 18-55mm lens, then snapped a few shots until I was satisfied with the outcome - viva la digitale! I didn't notice the wooden fence in the right corner of the pic, not sure if I like that or not.
This is Dylan Drew. His dad calls him "Double D". I wanted to get some baby shots for the softness portion of my personal program. I used a DIY diffuser (made from bristol board and a piece of white satin), which I placed over my 420EX flash. Dylan was 5 months old when I took this pic. I just let him do what babies do, and shot him all the while. I was quite happy at my first attempts at portrait photography. Not sure why I don't like taking pictures of people - too animated, I guess. He's a wiggly, jiggly, drooly cutie, and was totally uncooperative - too many new and different sights, sounds, and textures to discover. Out of approxiamately 50 shots, I did manage to get about 15 good ones - giggly, wiggly, jiggly!
I shot this pic on another cold, yet bright day. My husband, Rob, and I drove around to the various graveyards around town, looking for the most interesting gravestones to shoot with a piece of Saran Wrap over my lens hood. I actually used two layers of wrap to get this shot. I used my fingernail to roughen the plastic, and scrunched it up as tight as possible to give it some texture. I love the softness around the picture that using the Saran produced. I really enjoyed discovering most of the new techniques I learned from the article that I chose for my personal program. I will continue to use these things as the shot dictates, and they are now valuable additions to my camera kit.

2 comments:

trillian9 said...

Mer, I really enjoyed your Personal Program. It was tres encroyable! Very enjoyable. You bring a fresh perspective to photography, like nothing I have seen before. I am really enjoying your images on your blog. Thanks For Sharing!

Love and Light
Steph

Merilee Ollson said...

Thanks Steph! I love to think outside of the box - but I have to be honest, many of the images that I created, took many, many takes and many, many hours to set up, shoot, reshoot, and reshoot, and resetup, and reshoot. I was frustrated beyond words (actually the expletives flew out of my mouth), but I was happy with the results, and I'm glad that you enjoy my images. Thanks again.