April 6, 2007

This is a detail of yet another gravestone. I love the serenity on the cherubs' face. It too, was taken with a piece of plastic wrap fastened over my lens hood to give it a softer look. I loved Ians' personal program on Pinhole Cameras and got my brain to thinkin' (uh, OH)! I thought that the images he presented had a romantic feel and would lend themselves well to an old-fashioned sepia tone.
This was a fun shot to do. My husband had received a 5-light LED lamp (the kind you place on your baseball cap) for Christmas. I took plastic wrap and elastic banded (word?) it over the individual lights. I then took magic markers and coloured over the plastic to produce coloured light. I then placed the camera on BULB, then waved it in front of the lens. After that, I tried all kinds of light sources (laser pointer, bicycle flasher, etc.) and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I spent many a sleepless night "painting with light".
I was trying out the on-board macro setting on my camera, adjusting depth-of-field and trying many angles in order to achieve this shot. It is a simple image, but I had never explored this setting before. It was taken a couple of falls ago, just after acquiring my DSLR.
I just loved the curves and colours this image produced. I was testing out the new polarizing lens I purchased from EBay, but caveat emptor it is a linear one instead of a circular, so you could imagine my frustration in trying to "dial" it in - it simply wasn't doing what I wanted it to do. I spoke with Don about that later on, and he told me what the problem was - I didn't know that there were two kinds of polarizing lenses! I am now on the path to purchasing a "proper" one. Ah me, more money spent on my craft.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Hi Merilee!
I have just spent a lot of time going through your site. It is difficult to settle on one picture to make a comment. You truly amaze me with the ideas you come up with! I love every picture (your cat too ;-) Your talent is so amazing. I am about to go back and go over them again and again...I hope to learn through your wonderful pictures and with the fact that you are willing to share how you have accomplished them. Thank you so much for sharing! Did I tell you how much I liked them all!!! ;-)
Keep up the great work!
Sharon